Are you worried about those fine lines showing up on your face? Don’t panic, all you need to do is add a face serum to your skincare routine.
Face serums are filled with essential nutrients to fight major skin care issues like dry skin, fine lines, wrinkles, rough skin etc. However, it is important to choose the right serum to maximise benefits for your skin.
What are face serums made of, exactly?
To answer this question, you need to know the type of serum you’re using. In general face serums come under the following categories:
1. Anti-aging serums: This type of serum often includes retinal or bakuchiol or both.
2. Skin-brightening serums: These are often full of antioxidants and pigment fighting ingredients to improve your skin tone. Some of the ingredients included in this are Vitamin C, glycolic acid, kojic acid, ferulic acid, mushroom extract, lactic acid etc. among others.
3. Hydrating serums: These serums often contain Vitamin B5, which hydrates your skin, making it appear smoother. Some of the hydrating serums also contain hyaluronic acid which is a molecule that makes skin look fresh, plump and younger.
4. Acne and sensitive skin serums: These kinds of serums often contain salicylic acid, or other such plant-based derivatives.
5. Skin texture serums: These sometimes contain glycolic acid to boost the overall texture and appearance of the skin.
6. Free radical fighting serums: These contain antioxidants which fight free radicals that can damage healthy skin. Such serums can contain Vitamins A, C, E and resveratrol.
What are the benefits of using face serums?
If you use a face serum that is suited to your skin type, there are numerous benefits you can experience.
Nourishing and soothing skin – A face serum soothes all sensitive parts of your skin but apart from that, it is just so soothing to apply to your face. Even if your skin is prone to oiliness and other things, a face serum will smoothen and soothe your skin, making you feel loved and cherished.
Intense absorption – Face serums are such that they are very easy to absorb by the skin. It has thin viscosity, which means your skin will easily absorb the serum. Moreover, this delivers the ingredients in your serum more easily into your face, helping your skin absorb the benefits of your moisturiser too.
Fast and visible – Face care regimens can be incredibly slow to show the results. You often end up giving up your beauty regimen. Using a face serum, you get faster results and an instantaneous smoothness to your skin, because it is highly concentrated and easy to absorb.
Hydration – A moisturiser is great to hydrate your face and it has its place in your beauty regimen. But to truly feel the effects of your hydration all day long, you need a face serum.
When does it fit in with my skincare routine?
Face serums are designed to be in use with something else, and not as standalone products. You shouldn’t just use a face serum and leave it at that. Most serums are applied after cleansing but before you apply your moisturizer. The best way to use a face serum is to use it as an underlying layer to your moisturizer, sunscreen, make-up etc.
After cleansing, you can use your face serum once or twice a day.
How do I know if the face serum is good for me?
A good face serum is like a good face punch that helps to balance your skin. If you’re looking to buy a face serum, here are a few things to keep in mind before you decide what’s the right one for you:
Focus on your skincare goals: Before you go ahead to buy that attractive face serum you just saw, pause and step back and reflect on what you are trying to achieve with regards to your skincare. Because a face serum is the product to target your skincare goals!
Try one at a time: You might be attracted by all that face serums on the market have to offer and might be tempted to try two or three at a time. We advise you to stick to one for a considerable period of time, before deciding to switch.
Know your skin type: To choose the perfect serum for your face, you need to know what type is your skin – oily skin, dry skin, combination skin, or sensitive skin. If you’re not sure, go to a dermatologist for a quick analysis. Knowing your skin type will help you choose a serum that is least irritable and keeps your skin glowing.
Know your ingredients – Once you select a certain face serum, check all the ingredients in it and see if they are actually good for your skin. You can even work the other way round – based on your skin type, choose the ingredients that are best for you and then look for a face serum with those ingredients.
Steps to use a face serum
1. Cleanse your face: Use a mild face wash to cleanse your face, remove dirt, grime, sebum and dead skin. You can use herbal face washes as they gently clean without stripping away the essential oils on your face.
2. Exfoliate: Depending on your exposure to pollution, exfoliate your skin 2-3 times a week. It cleanses your pores and helps in regulating the formation of blackheads and whiteheads.
3. Apply face serum: Now you are ready to apply face serum. Take 3-4 drops on your fingertips and gently massage it into your face and neck. To cover all areas, pat your skin.
Avoid excess rubbing or massaging and face serums are lightweight and easy to absorb.
4. Apply moisturizer/sunscreen: Once the face serum has been completely absorbed, apply for your moisturizer or sunscreen to ensure your face stays hydrated for a longer time.
Face serums are powerhouses of vitamins, nutrients in concentrated forms. Using them regularly can give you healthy, glowing skin. However, what will help you most is having a good knowledge of your skin type and skin needs to select the right face serum for you.